Samstag, 31. Januar 2009

What's green?

Organic, biodegradable, carbon neutral and sustainable, are the words that you have to take in when you live in Vancouver. The abbreviation to all of this would be "green".
("Bio" is associated with something different here by the way!!! Just for the non german readers: Bio is what we call organic food!)
Never admit that something is not organic when you bring it to a party or if you buy a can of something you don't have to feel bad about the enery it takes to recycle it can still be carbon neutral! You can also make a bottle/can collector happy, which I learned from "Carts of Darkness", its worth 5 cents (pop)/10 cents (beer) when they return it)

Last week I was asked by a woman if my Yoga mat was biodegradable. I did not know that those existed before. We both checked the label which did not say so. "At least it's green" I said (it's color is green).

Today in a "Paperie & Design" shop when we declined to take a "plastic" bag for our purchase because we had our own "fabric" bag the lady said: "But it's biodegradable, you can take it." "Thanks, but we don't NEED it"

Olaf bought an "organic" chocolate muffin today. Very delicious, almost 100% chocolate. The little muffin was packed in a huge plastic see-through APET-container from Pactiv. Unfortunately he did not ask if it was biodegradable :-) The store he bought it at says this about sustainability: Whole Trade, reducing packaging waste, MSC and being certified organic are just part of our Market commitment to sustainability. Well I have to add if you choose not to take a bag at that store the 5 cent are going to charity, it you want!

I don't have a car, I ride my bike as often as possible, I am aware of buying sustainable seafood since I live in Vancouver, I buy hardly any meat and I actually bought a waste basket that says its biodegradable! I have an iphone application that tells me where I can buy "green" in my neighborhood! I'm so green.

Keine Kommentare: