Sonntag, 8. Februar 2009

Peanut Butter Cookie

Yesterday night, I was going to buy a very cheap but handmade peanut butter cookie from a small shop near Granville Island. When I came to the counter, a crazy old woman, who looked a bit like a witch, asked: "Ohhhhh, that cookie looks good!" Then, with that lurking tremble in her voice: "Is it a peanut butter cookie?"

Unsuspecting, I answered "Yes!" and she hysterically cried: "Did you know that people are dying from peanut butter?! Where does the peanut butter come from? Google it! How do you know it's safe? Shopkeeper, is your peanut butter safe?"

To explain her strange behaviour, I did google peanut butter and found out that she referred to a food scandal one month ago, where American peanut butter contained Salmonella and five people died, 400 getting sick. However, the shopkeeper calmed her down and cleared all my freshly induced fears:

"My cookies are safe, they cannot be poisoned by food scandal in January. For my cookies, I only use very very old peanut butter."

Bon appetit!

Keine Kommentare: